Friday, June 19, 2009

Joshua

It is wonderful to be half way around the world from the place where you call home yet still be able to experience the same God. Everyone here is so wonderful and are teaching me many new things about their way of life, how to depend on God, and love people.
Something that has been running through my head ever since my arrival at the children's home in Ilula comes from my high school soccer team. Before every game that we played while I was on that team, the starters would huddle in the middle of the field before kick-off. It was very secretive what was done in this group but I will share a bit of it with you right now. After we had said what needed to be about the game ahead of us, we would have a moment of silence. This was the time when you could do what you need in order to prepare for the game. At the end of the minute, one girl would say, "God, give us the strength, the courage, and the character", and then we would all repeat, "...and the strength and the courage and the character!"
I have been thinking about this lately because it has so many paralells with what I am doing now. I have had my time to prepare while I was at home, and now I am just beginning to take action in this new environment. That has been my prayer for the past fews days after I had arrived in Africa, that God would give me the strength and the courage and the character, not only to accomplish what he wants me to do here, but for the rest of my life.
I am beginning to read the story of Joshua which also relates to this theme of being strong,not from yourself, but from the Lord. I love the first chapter when God is telling him the plans and is so confident in this man. I see a lot of similarities between myself and Joshua, I don't think it was a mistake that that was going to be my name if I was a boy.
6 Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their forefathers to give them. 7 Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. 8 Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. 9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment